acquisition News

Japanese Securities Giant SBI Completes Takeover of Crypto Exchange Bitpoint


The Japanese securities giant SBI has completed a takeover of the rival crypto exchange Bitpoint. The move consolidates the firm’s increasingly tight grip on the domestic crypto market – and marks the second time it has taken over a domestic rival.

SBI confirmed the move in a post on its website. The company snapped up a controlling (51%) stake in Bitpoint back in May last year. But, the firm wrote, it has now agreed a deal to buy the remaining 49% of Bitpoint’s share. The company did not disclose how much it had paid for the shares.

Stay in the know on crypto by frequently visiting Crypto News Today

SBI explained that it would move to make Bitpoint a “wholly owned subsidiary” firm. The company also outright owns the TaoTao crypto trading platform – an exchange that was formerly part-owned by Yahoo Japan. SBI bought TaoTao in 2020. SBI also operates SBI VC Trade, its own organic crypto exchange.

SBI noted that it would use liquidity from its UK-based subsidiary B2C2 to improve existing Bitpoint services. The firm added that it may look to list gaming-related tokens on the platform in the future.

Bitpoint was founded by the points system operator Remixpoint.

Japanese Securities Giants Muscling out Local Crypto Exchange Startups?

The Japanese crypto exchange scene has traditionally been dominated by smaller domestic startups, such as the market-leading bitFlyer.

However, in recent years, securities firms have become increasingly keen on entering the market – and reducing the number of firms they have to compete with. 

The Monex Group, one of SBI’s biggest securities market rivals, bought the Coincheck exchange in 2018. Monex has also been linked with a possible bid for the FTX Japan trading platform, which will be sold by a US bankruptcy court later this year.

Other big-name industries active in the scene include the South Korean-Japanese chat app giant Line and the e-commerce titan Rakuten. Both of these firms operate their own exchanges.

In addition to its exchange interests, SBI also operates a crypto mining subsidiary called SBI Crypto. SBI also operates the SBI-Ripple Asia blockchain network in conjunction with America’s Ripple.CRYPTOCASTER® - DECENTRALIZED FREEDOM!

Please Read Essential Disclaimer Information Here.
© 2024 Crypto Caster provides information. does not provide investment advice. Do your research before taking a market position on the purchase of cryptocurrency and other asset classes. Past performance of any asset is not indicative of future results. All rights reserved.

Contribute to CryptoCaster℠ Via Metamask or favorite wallet. Send Coin/Token to Addresses Provided Below.
Thank you!
BTC – bc1qgdnd752esyl4jv6nhz3ypuzwa6wav9wuzaeg9g
ETH – 0x7D8D76E60bFF59c5295Aa1b39D651f6735D6413D
MATIC – 0x7D8D76E60bFF59c5295Aa1b39D651f6735D6413D
LITECOIN – ltc1qxsgp5fykl0007hnwgl93zr9vngwd2jxwlddvqt

You may also like